Superior Orthodontic Care
Provided by an Experienced Santa Barbara Dentist
Orthodontics is a part of dentistry which is focused on the diagnosing, prevention, and treatment of jaw, face and bite irregularities, and teeth that don’t fit together correctly (malocclusions). Orthodontic treatment is provided by an oral health care provider known as an Orthodontist, who has typically completed two to three years of additional training beyond dental school.
Recent years have brought about many changes within the dental industry, specifically with regards to orthodontic treatment and care. Orthodontic treatments are no longer geared only toward the treatment of teens and/or pre-teens. Today, 30% or more of orthodontic patients are adults. Also, now more than ever, patients are experiencing fewer incidences of cavities and missing teeth due to the heightened awareness of fluoride use and preventative dentistry. This increasing awareness on the health and look of a patient’s smile has fueled the desire for many to seek out orthodontia not only as a medical necessity but for cosmetics.
Whether for health or aesthetic reasons, we provide the following orthodontic treatment options and information services:
- Invisalign: This is a newer, removable type of dental aligner that is completely ransparent. Invisalign ® does not interfere with eating because of its removable nature, and mechanically works in the same way as the traditional metal dental braces. However, not all patients are candidates for Invisalign ®.
- Braces: Fixed orthodontic braces involve a metal or ceramic dental base that is affixed to each tooth, and a dental wire that is inserted through each base. The orthodontist is able to gradually train the teeth into proper alignment by regularly adjusting the wire. When the desired results are achieved, the fixed dental braces are completely removed.
- Retainers: There are a wide range of removable appliances commonly used in orthodontics, including headgear that correct overbites, Hawley retainers that improve the position of the teeth even as the jawbone reforms, and facemasks which are used to correct an underbite.
- Malocclusion treatment : Malocclusion is the technical term for teeth that don’t fit together correctly. Malocclusions not only affect the teeth, but also the appearance of the face. Most malocclusions are inherited; however some are due to acquired habits such as thumb sucking and tongue thrusting. The spacing left from an adult tooth being extracted or an early loss of a baby tooth can also contribute to a malocclusion.
- Braces for children
- Braces for adults
- What is an Orthodontist?
- Benefits to Orthodontics
- Orthodontic treatment phases
- Orthodontic dictionary and common terms
Though orthodontic treatment provided through our Santa Barbara cosmetic dentistry can be effective at any age, the American Dental Association suggests that an orthodontic assessment should be performed around the age of seven. The earlier orthodontic treatment begins, the quicker the problem can be resolved.
There are many advantages to well-aligned teeth, including easier cleaning, better oral hygiene, clearer speech and a more pleasant smile. What other problems can be treated with Orthodontics?
- Anteroposterior deviations – The discrepancy between a pair of closed jaws is known as an anteroposterior discrepancy or deviation. An example of such a discrepancy would be an overbite (where the upper teeth are further forward than the lower teeth), or an underbite (where the lower teeth are further forward then the upper teeth).
- Overcrowding – Overcrowding is a common orthodontic problem. It occurs when there is an insufficient space for the normal growth and development of adult teeth.
- Aesthetic problems – A beautiful straight smile may be marred by a single misaligned tooth. This tooth can be realigned with ease and accuracy by the orthodontist. Alternatively, orthodontists can also work to reshape and restructure the lips, jaw or the face.
Experience & Dedication at Your Side
Whether your unique situation calls for traditional braces or custom made removable appliances, orthodontics can help you have the healthy, straight, beautiful smile you’ve been waiting for! When you visit our office, we want ensure that you have the most positive experience possible. Our staff is committed to making sure you receive the individual care that you need, and have the training and expertise needed to provide that level of care to you.
To schedule an appointment for high-caliber Santa Barbara orthodontics, call us today at (805) 967-0344!