Offering Top-Tier Periodontal Treatment
Gum disease is among the most common oral health issues in the United States. While most cases only require quick and easy treatment, more advanced cases need a more aggressive approach. At the office of Jeffrey A. Stratford-Jones, DDS, we’ve helped patients in all stages of periodontal disease restore their oral health. Our Santa Barbara, CA team has the expertise to evaluate your condition and recommend the best treatment for your circumstances. Learn more about gum disease and how you can catch the signs early.
What Is Periodontal Disease?
Periodontal disease is an advanced stage of gum disease that occurs when the gum tissue becomes severely infected. This is a progressive condition, and without periodontic treatment, the disease can destroy the jawbone and connective tissue. Some forms of the disease are more aggressive than others, but our team has experience dealing with severe cases. If you notice any of the following symptoms, schedule a gum disease exam:
- Bad breath
- Swollen or bleeding gums
- Loose teeth
- Gum recession
- Tooth sensitivity
- Bad taste in the mouth
- Pain when chewing
- Changes in bite or fit of dentures (teeth shifting in the mouth)
Treating Periodontal Disease
At the office of Jeffrey A. Stratford-Jones, DDS, we offer several treatments for periodontal disease, depending on which stage you’re in. In the early phases of periodontitis, patients may only need scaling and root planing to alleviate symptoms. This treatment deep-cleans the gums and removes tartar and bacteria contributing to the inflammation. We may also recommend antibiotics to control the infection. However, more advanced stages require invasive treatment. If you have severe periodontal disease, you may need flap surgery or bone grafting to make a full recovery. Dr. Stratford-Jones will sit down with you to learn more about your condition and suggest a treatment plan.
Why Periodontal Treatment Is Essential
Getting prompt periodontal treatment is essential for a slew of reasons. First and foremost, treatment slows the progression of the disease and prevents further problems later on. You’ll have less tooth pain and sensitivity and won’t need to worry about tooth loss as the condition worsens. Other benefits of quick, professional treatment include:
- You’ll enjoy clean teeth and gums
- Your smile will improve—with less yellowed teeth and reduced gumline recession
- You’ll notice fresher breath
- You’ll enjoy all the benefits of better overall health
Ask Us About Gum Disease Exams
The best way to minimize the impact of periodontal disease is to catch it in the first stages. At the office of Jeffrey A. Stratford-Jones, DDS, we offer comprehensive gum disease exams to look for the beginning signs of the condition. When you come in for an exam, you can expect the following:
- X-rays to look for tooth decay, tumors, and bone loss
- Examination of fillings and crowns
- Identification of tooth decay
- Oral cancer screening
- Tooth polishing
- Recommendations for at-home oral hygiene
Ways to Maintain Good Gum Health
Prevention is always the best approach when it comes to periodontal disease. Fortunately, the team at the office of Jeffrey A. Stratford-Jones, DDS is happy to offer a slew of tips for maintaining your gum health. First, it’s crucial to brush at least twice a day and floss once a day. Getting into this habit minimizes the plaque, tartar, and bacteria buildup that can eventually lead to gum disease. Other ways to protect your oral health include:
- Use Quality Toothpaste: We recommend a fluoride toothpaste to better protect your gums and prevent future problems. Make sure the product has the ADA seal of acceptance!
- Rinse With Mouthwash: Use a therapeutic mouthwash daily to reduce plaque and remove food particles from your mouth. Remember that mouthwash isn’t a substitute for brushing and flossing, and you should do all three for best results.
- Don’t Forget Your Dental Cleaning: Keeping up with regular dental cleanings goes a long way to continued gum health. Your dentist can clean up any spots you might have missed, as well as catch the early signs of gum disease.
Get in Touch with Our Team Today
Periodontal disease is no walk in the park, and you deserve prompt, effective treatment. Get in touch with the team at the office of Jeffrey A. Stratford-Jones, DDS to schedule an appointment. Our dentist and hygienists will work to ensure you receive the best treatment possible.